I LOVE LOVE LOVE functional training and everything it has to offer. You can certainly obtain an impressive physique while primarily working out at the gym but believe me when I say; you’d be missing out on tons of significant bonuses by not including simple (or more complex – if you’re more advanced) functional bodyweight moves into your workout regimen.
Simply put, exercising in a functional manner not only gives you deeper purpose while executing each move; it develops your body in a well-rounded manner, helping you improve balance, agility, coordination, full range of motion, etc. On top of that, it challenges your muscles like “real life physical challenges” would instead of isolating specific muscles groups at the time.
In other words, you become more functional and more powerful as a human being, makes sense?
You see, exercising isn’t all about sculpting a striking physique, what personally motivates me the most to workout at this stage of my journey is the awareness of the remarkable impact regular physical activity has on my mind & life in general. It’s a magical thing my friends; to feel energized, focused and able to concentrate, to feel strong inside out, as well as beautiful and confident… all that just because of a full bodyweight workout session?
Your damn right, we keep looking for miracle pills and magical solutions to our recurring problems; what we seem to keep putting on the back-burner is the simple idea that” EATING REAL FOOD & MOVING YOUR BODY functionally” can drastically improve your life in most aspects. Actually, from my personal experience it can sweep away and/or steadily decrease almost ALL of your problems (such as stress, self-doubt, low self-confidence, laziness and inertia, impatience, lack of creativity, most health problems, etc. etc. etc. – TRY IT & SEE FOR YOURSELF!) I can keep going on here but I bet you’re tired of my rambling and want to get sweaty already?)
darn it… just before we get started, I think it’s important to remember that by developing your strength and fitness using natural & functional movement, you’re building a solid and unbreakable foundation which will then allow you to build upon more effectively. Progression is always key, you need to master the basic, full range of motion using the bodyweight version of an exercise before starting to lift heavy or increasing exercise intensity…
DONE! No seriously, let’s begin our training!
What You’ll Need For this Workout
Print or Save this Workout on your Phone
Full Bodyweight Workout: Breakdown
- Start off with a 5 minute warm-up session (you can warm-up using your favorite piece of cardio equipment or with your own bodyweight (jumping jacks, jog in place, etc.), as long as you get that heart rate up!
- Complete 1 set of the exercises listed below, following the order in which they are shown (repetitions are listed prior to each exercise)
- Once you’ve completed the 8 exercises, do the prescribed 30 seconds of bodyweight cardio exercises & take a short break (about 1 minute) and repeat for a total of 3 sets
- Your goal is to complete these exercises with proper form & with minimal breaks in between each exercise in order to keep your heart rate up!
- If any of these exercises are too difficult for you, you can modify them with an easier variation or take longer breaks in between exercises or again, simply do less repetitions
- Don’t forget to cool-down and stretch those muscles
Full Bodyweight Workout: Exercise Demos
30 Squat Twists (alternating sides/15 per side)
20 Bird Dogs (alternating sides/10 per side)
10 T-Plank (1 = right/center/left)
12 Pushup to Alternating Leg Extensions
12 Back Hyperextension
12 Alternating Spiderman Reaches (6 per side)
12 Triceps Dips
*After 1st Set, do: 30sec. Jump Squats
*After 2nd Set, do: 30sec. Frog Lunges
*After 3rd Set, do: 30sec. Downdog Hops
Better Workout. Better Results.
The GYMBOSS is a small, easy to use, repeating interval timer. This multi-use timer has many versatile functions that make it beneficial to virtually any type of exercise program. Start working out like a pro and reaching your goals TODAY!
Grab your Gymboss in the color of your choice HERE