To many of us, the New Year symbolizes change & new beginnings, a time to reflect upon the year in retrospect & contemplate our upcoming goals for the year to come.
By this time next year, we can either be crushed by regret OR reminiscing our victories – this all depends on our ability to make lasting change a reality in our lives. AND in order to do so, we need to implement strategies that will support change.
Following are 5 Key Elements that have Helped me Stick to my Goals and Make Change a Reality!
- Perceived Pleasure – Let’s face it, change is inevitably uncomfortable & focusing on this feeling isn’t exactly what will allow you to stay on track – although you cannot escape getting out of your comfort zone, to a certain degree, you can surely place the “pleasurable feelings” related to change on the spotlight instead of feeding your negative emotions with perceived limitations and restrictions. Continuously remind yourself of how your change is serving you, get inspired by others who have mastered your change & make it a daily ritual!
- Mind Games – Beware! Your mind will trick you into believing that you abso-freakin’-lutely shouldn’t be changing! It will do everything and anything in its power to resist change and convince you that it isn’t necessary, even worthy of your time, effort & energy! We are creatures of pleasure, trying to avoid any form of pain at all cost – even though temporary discomfort could lead to heightened levels of happiness & fulfillment, the mind is simply reacting to what doesn’t feel good & in order to allow change to happen, it is essential to be aware of these mental shifts as you move forward.
- Be True to YOU – Who are you changing for, really? Over and over in my life, I have set myself up for failure by trying to achieve goals that not only didn’t serve me but ultimately pushed me further away from my true desires. We do this for the sake of external approval, ignoring that true happiness only exists when we come from a place of self-love and authenticity. If you haven’t yet taken the time to explore your true desires, I definitely recommend looking into it . Check out Danielle Laporte’s Desire Map to learn how to use your core desired feelings as the guidance system for your goal setting… and while we’re at it, don’t forget to take a look at The Desire Map Licensing Program if you’re into creating financial independence through passion-driven entrepreneurship in 2015!
- Equipped for Chaos – Often times, even the smallest changes can affect many different areas in our lives and come into conflict with our current lifestyle. Perhaps you want to start eating healthier but you’re used to eating lunch with your co-workers in the office cafeteria which doesn’t offer any healthy options… Planning ahead can become your biggest savior because it’s those unexpected situations that lead us to make quick and irrational decisions that can sabotage our progress & throw us back into our old habits.
- The Importance of Creating a Life you Love – In most cases, we develop bad habits & self-sabotaging behaviors due to a lack of alignment between our current reality & the one we envision for ourselves. For example, puffing on a cigarette, emotional eating or going shopping instead of getting our ass to work can bring up a sense of pleasure in a reality we’ve created that isn’t satisfying to us. If you remove a certain form of instant gratification, you can expect to feel a deep void within. Before you attempt to do so, make sure that you are ready to deal with these unpleasant emotions and try incorporating new, self-loving, empowering & more satisfying activities into your curriculum. For example: take some time everyday to “play”, be creative, pamper yourself, meet up with some good old friends or find new ones that share similar interests, etc.
How about you, are there certain tools you use to create lasting change in your life? I’d love to hear about them in the comment section below!
A 30-day Eating Guide to Your Best Body Ever!
Discover the best-kept secret in the food marketing industry and uncover the strategies that will effortlessly shed pounds off your body. The Body Fuel System comes with a 30-day customized weekly eating plan, a weekly shopping guide, a weekly food-prep guide, healthy fitness recipes, Betty Rocker’s top 5 ab-shredding moves, additional tips & tricks to keep you lean and much more. Click HERE for more details.