Tell us a little bit about yourself and how your health & fitness journey began…
I’m a Certified Holistic Health Coach and Founder of the non-profit movement, Hello Perfect®. I have always been into health and fitness but it was not until my near-death experience that I truly learned how important nutrition is.
What is your training philosophy and how do you like to move your body?
My training philosophy is “change your thoughts, change your life.” I like to move my body in every possible way! Hiking, running, bike riding, dancing, yoga, skating… you name it, I’ll do it! Variety makes working out way more fun.
What are your beliefs about nutrition? Can you give us an example of what your daily diet might looks like?
I believe in bio individuality. One person’s food may be another person’s poison because we are all different. Every BODY is different and there is no such thing as one diet fits all. I became a vegan after my near-death experience and used nutrition to heal my body.
A day in my life would look like this:
- 7am: workout outside (usually a run or bike ride) then followed by weights and sit ups
- 8:30am: big glass of water & my daily supplements
- 8:45am: Start juicing! I make a wheatgrass shot with E3 Live and then make my daily green juice. Most of the time my green juice ingredients consist of kale, celery, cucumber, cabbage, carrots and apple.
- 10am: berries for breakfast
- Lunch time varies but usually I’ll have a veggie burger over salad or an avocado over sprouts and raw veggies.
- Mid-day snack: organic hummus and gluten-free pretzels
- Dinner: stir fry vegetables over brown rice
- Dessert: SmartPop popcorn!
How do you stay focused, disciplined and committed to your healthy & empowering lifestyle?
I understand the importance of staying healthy because if I stray too far from my healthy lifestyle, I’ll get sick. My body can’t digest foods high in sugar or any processed foods so it has just become a habit now to stay away from those foods. Don’t get me wrong though, I do indulge! I believe in treating the body with sweets so what I did was learn how to make desserts using natural foods like nuts, raw cacao and bananas. I have a bunch of healthy delicious desserts in my new cookbook that I just published, “The Simple Gluten-Free Vegan Cookbook”!
What is your biggest achievement when it comes to mind-body health so far?
I healed my body out of a coma with the power of my thoughts.
What are your current and future health & fitness related goals and projects?
As I mentioned above, I just published a gluten-free and vegan cookbook, so right now I am focused on educating people how to incorporate healthy meals into their daily diets with my cookbook! I’d love to see it in health food stores and small farmer’s markets!
What advice would you give to people who are struggling in staying committed and reaching their health & fitness goals?
Focus on how you want to FEEL.
Don’t think about a number on a scale or following a certain diet trend. Listen to your body, eat and do what feels right and when you are working out, think about how great you will feel at the end. It helps to give yourself a reward after completing a workout or spending time cooking a healthy meal for yourself. The reward can be a long soothing bath, a massage, time away from the computer or your favorite cup of coffee! (with almond milk of course!). One more thing…
Be patient with yourself. Don’t be your own bully.
If you don’t complete your goal for the day or stray off track just choose differently next time. Never harp on the past, live in the present.
What are your top 2 favorite exercises?
- I love hiking and yoga.
What’s your all-time favorite food?
It’s a tie between avocados and bananas!
Can you give us 3 Fun Facts about yourself?
- I’m the Founder of the inspirational non-profit movement, Hello Perfect®. Our mission is to redefine perfection and build self-esteem in adolescents and adults. I started the company in 2011 as just a fun blog and this past September, we became a 501(c)3 non-profit so we can make a bigger impact in people’s lives around the world!
- I taught myself how to juggle.
- I used to be part of a competitive hip hop team!
Want to find out more about Hello Perfect or get involved? Click HERE.
Stay tuned for next week’s Food & Nutrition post by Alexa Carlin!
Start Smarter in 2015- Fuel your Body Like a Pro!
Discover the Ultimate Natural Fat Loss & “Get Insanely Healthy” eating guide. The Body Fuel System comes with a 30-day customized weekly eating plan, weekly shopping & food-prep guides, healthy fat burning recipes, Betty Rocker’s top 5 ab-shredding moves and additional tools & tips to keep you healthy, lean & sexy! Click HERE for more details.