Every new year brings a wave of new people to the gym and health food stores. Every person is working on fulfilling their yearly resolution of getting fit and healthy. The problem with this is, it never lasts. Why? People are misguided on what being healthy truly means.
Being healthy means living a healthy lifestyle that is structured for you, and only you. There is no one-diet-fits-all because we all have a different body! This year, focus on feeding yourself with the proper nutrition that your body tells you it needs. Yes, I want you to put down that dieting book and tune into your own body and intuition.
After I had a near-death experience, I struggled with a compromised immune system and loads of digestive issues. I ended up being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and every food I ate, made me sick. I went to hundreds of doctors looking for help and every doctor just prescribed me more medicine, which did nothing for me. One day, I was fed up and I said to myself, “I am going to heal my own body.” I tuned into what I was feeling was the right route to go and decided to heal myself through nutrition and the mind.
I cut out gluten, dairy, meat and fish from my diet and began juicing every single day. Within a couple of months, I healed my body.
“I won’t say it was easy, but it was definitely worth it!”
When I began following a vegan and gluten-free diet I was extremely overwhelmed. I couldn’t find any cookbooks to help me and eating out was nearly impossible in the beginning. Instead of looking at it from a negative perspective (which makes you more sick since you are feeding your body with negative thoughts) I decided to have fun with the transition and began experimenting in the kitchen.
I wrote down all of my recipes I came up with and people started asking me for them. That’s when I realized that there are so many people out there struggling when trying to find healthy meals that are easy to make that taste delicious. I then decided to publish a cookbook, which just came out this December called, “The Simple Gluten-Free Vegan Cookbook”!
The cookbook has tons of recipes that are healthy, simple and delicious!
You don’t have to deprive your body of good food to be healthy, all of you have to do is make better choices. My cookbook is a guide to help others integrate healthy meals in their diet that taste just like their normal comfort foods. One of my favorite quotes on how to be healthy is by Michael Pollan:
“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
Society confuses people with all of the different diet trends out there but it really is as simple as just listening to your own body and finding a few good tools and guides to help you get started. My cookbook is a guide to help people transition to a healthier lifestyle. Below is one of my favorite recipes from the book to help you get started this new year!
Alexa’s Palm Cakes Recipe
- 2 cans whole hearts of palm
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon veganaise
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon Old Bay Spice
- 2 cups gluten-free bread crumbs, divided
- 3 cloves fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons veganaise
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
* I recommend gluten-free Panko bread crumbs.
- Put hearts of palm into a food processor. Pulse 15x. Empty into a medium sized bowl.
- Add chopped scallions and chopped pepper to bowl.
- Add veganaise, mustard, Old Bay Spice and garlic to bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together. Do a taste test! If you like it spicier add more Old Bay Spice.
- Add 1 cup breadcrumbs to mixture. Mix together.
- Form mixture into small patties.
- Pour 1 cup breadcrumbs on a plate or in a separate bowl. Coat palm cake patties front and back with breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium to high heat. Cook palm cakes until crispy on both sides.
- Serve palm cakes with a dollop of sauce on top!
For the Sauce:
- Mix all sauce ingredients together in a bowl.
Stay tuned for next week’s “Body Care & Training” post by Alexa Carlin!
Start Smarter in 2015- Fuel your Body Like a Pro!
Discover the Ultimate Natural Fat Loss & “Get Insanely Healthy” eating guide. The Body Fuel System comes with a 30-day customized weekly eating plan, weekly shopping & food-prep guides, healthy fat burning recipes, Betty Rocker’s top 5 ab-shredding moves and additional tools & tips to keep you healthy, lean & sexy! Click HERE for more details.