FOOD is fuel, sometimes pleasure too… and that’s ok. When food becomes love, an anti-stress relief, a gal’s best friend or an easy go-to boredom buster, then we’ve got ourselves a messy situation over time.
I’ve been an emotional/binge eater my ENTIRE LIFE – I know how food can take over our lives and our happiness – this is why I am sharing with you today, some mega effective tools, my very own “anti-diet rules”! Implementing these steps and applying these life & food principles into my life, has oh-so helped me stop being a food prisoner & letting food dictate my happiness, mood and overall wellbeing!
My 6 “Anti-Diet” Rules to Stop Emotional Eating
1. Eat what you Crave: I’m not against meal planning and following certain dietary guidelines, recipes and nutritional tips. BUT once you become familiar with food and how you should or choose to eat for optimal health, performance and wellbeing, don’t ever leave satisfaction out of the equation, you want to enjoy what you are eating, food isn’t JUST fuel.
2. Never Restrict Yourself or Diet for the Sake of Vanity: I know it can be tempting, all those sexy bods surrounding us on a daily basis through advertisement, social media and even our own beliefs about how we should look. When tempted to go on a diet, ask yourself, has dieting in the past really helped me reach my goals and feel & look my very best on the long run? Didn’t think so, it’s time for a different and healthier approach to health and fitness, one that actually works for our body, mind and soul!
3. Dream BIG & Take Care of your Temple: Although we cannot eliminate all unpleasant feeling that trigger emotional eating from our lives, we can certainly put some effort, daily, in not adding any to the load. When we allow ourselves to dream big, take small actions daily towards those juicy dreams and also treat ourselves and our bodies like a Queen (or King) – life becomes more enjoyable, way more exciting and we are no longer tempted to numb our emotions as often. Personally, I fuel up my temple with delicious books, massages, healing crystals, the nature, exquisite cuisine, quality time with friends, family and with myself, working on my authentic goals and desires daily, etc. How about you?
4. Understand, Forgive & Move on: This one is a game changer. I’ve noticed that being my own best buddy has been the most empowering act in healing my relationship with food. I used to be so angry at myself for overeating, I used to hate myself for it. This only resulted in more self-destructive patterns and yo-yo dieting. If you want to stop emotional eating for good, learn how to understand why you are eating, learn how to be more loving towards yourself and don’t become obsessed about your behavior towards food, forgive yourself and move on to more positive things instead.
When you think of food, think ABUNDANCE vs. RESTRICTION!
5. Don’t Label Food: “Bad”, “cheat”, “not-allowed”? Refrain from using these words in your vocabulary when referring to food. When you think of food, think ABUNDANCE vs. RESTRICTION, think of all the delicious food you want and desire to fuel your temple with and don’t feel guilty about choosing a piece of cake over that healthy-fied green-smoothie when you crave it too! Being fit, healthy and happy isn’t about eating clean 98, 5% of the time and never missing out on a workout or 5 in a row for that matter, it’s about loving and honoring the journey and learning how to treat your body and mind kindly.
6. Bye Bye Control Freak: I’ve mentioned that dieting and restricting yourself won’t allow you to heal your relationship with food above. It is EXTRA important not to follow or try to “fix” a binge or emotional eating episode with a dieting period. Example. going on a 3 day juice cleanse, eating super ultra clean or below 1200 calories directly after emotional or binge eating. This behavior will only reinforce the diet-binge cycle. Instead, move on to more positive things and put your precious energy into something else rather than food.
I’d love to hear about your emotional/binge eating journey & food relationship healing process! Leave your comments and tips in the comment section below.
BEFORE YOU GO!!!
Make sure you check out Isabel’s “Stop Fighting Food” video series that teaches women how to “stop feeling crazy around food” and getting off the diet-binge cycle, stop feeling “out of control around food” and finally have a life that doesn’t revolve around trying to lose the last 10 (or 50) pounds!
A 30-day Eating Guide to Your Best Body Ever!
Discover the best-kept secret in the food marketing industry and uncover the strategies that will effortlessly shed pounds off your body. The Body Fuel System comes with a 30-day customized weekly eating plan, a weekly shopping guide, a weekly food-prep guide, healthy fitness recipes, Betty Rocker’s top 5 ab-shredding moves, additional tips & tricks to keep you lean and much more. Click HERE for more details.