Happy Tuesday people and welcome to yet another delicious 5TT!
Today, we have a special guest straight from The Holistic Ingredient blog. I’m honored to share Amy’s favorite healthy and absolutely finger-licking-good breakfast recipes! Let the fun begin!! And for more unique & healthy recipes like these, make sure you check out Amy’s new e-book A Nourishing Kitchen!
Steaming Hot Quinoa Porridge
This is without question one of my all time favorite breakfasts. Not only is it super easy to make, it is a fantastic option if you are in search of a good quality protein meal that will sustain you through until lunch. Double or triple the recipe and freeze in portion sizes. These can be whipped out of the freezer at a moment’s notice and popped into a saucepan with a little extra liquid to defrost.
(Serves 2 Prep time: 15 minutes)
- ½ cup quinoa, very well rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice, coconut milk is also delicious)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp maple syrup or raw honey
Place quinoa and milk in a small saucepan and bring to the boil with the lid on. Once boiling, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and add the cinnamon and sweetener. Simmer for 12-14 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the germ turns opaque. I take it off the stove whilst it still has a slight chew and let it sit in the saucepan, lid on for a couple of minutes. Fluff up the quinoa with a fork and serve. I believe it’s at it’s best with a big dollop of Greek or coconut yoghurt and some delectable crunchy extras.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack, eggs, for me a compulsory pantry item. I like to refer to them as ‘magic bullets’ for their sheer nutrient value. Anyway, let’s get ‘cracking’ and kick off with what has undoubtedly become my signature breakfast dish.
(Serves 1 Prep time: 10 minutes)
- 2 organic or free-range eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla powder or a couple of drops of vanilla essence
- 1 heaped tsp of maple syrup or sweetener of choice, to taste
- A good pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (for pan)
Pop a small omelette pan on the stove on medium heat. Beat or whisk the eggs until fluffy (if time permits use a beater – the fluffier they are the fluffier the omelette). Beat in remaining ingredients, excluding the coconut oil.
Add the coconut oil to the warm pan. Once hot, pour in the mixture. As with any omelette the trick is to wait for the sides to go firm then slowly pull in the mixture to the centre with a spatula, allowing the remaining runny mixture to run back to the sides. Keep doing this around the pan until there is little runny egg mixture left – this will take a couple of minutes. Flip the omelette over and give the other side one to two minutes.
Turn the cooked omelette out onto a plate and top with whatever deliciousness your heart desires. My favourite is a heaped dessertspoon of full fat Greek yoghurt, a sprinkling of LSA or ground flaxseed and some berries. Roll it up and savour the heavenly goodness.
Walnut Brownie Breakfast (or dessert) Mousse
This is a seriously yummy, seemingly decadent, breakfast mousse that is both sustaining AND totally good for you. Shed that guilt, tuck in and savour every mouthful – this little baby is full of goodness (and a whole heap of joy).
(Serves 1 Prep time: 5 minutes)
- 1.5 cups almond milk (or milk of choice), add more if you prefer a runnier smoothie
- 1/3 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw cacao (plus extra if you like it intense)
- 2 heaped tbsp maple or rice malt syrup, to taste
- 1 heaped tsp maca powder
- 1 heaped tsp raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of vanilla powder (or essence)
- Pinch salt
Leave half the walnuts and cacao nibs aside. Throw the rest of your ingredients into the blender and blend until really smooth. Top with the cacao nibs and remaining walnuts. I would recommend making this the night before or at least half an hour before you eat it to allow the chia seeds to soften.
Orange, Coconut & Almond Meal Hot Cakes
Super duper easy, these take about 20 seconds in a blender and 6 minutes in a pan. So you’re looking at 10 minutes total for this tasty breakfast treat. This recipe is for one. You know what to do for 2, or 4, or so on..
(Serves 1 Prep time: 10-15 minutes)
Heat a small frying pan and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. In a blender (ideally small) add the following ingredients and blend until smooth:
- 3 dessert spoons almond meal
- ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 dessertspoon coconut flakes or desiccated
- Finely grated orange rind, I used ¾ of an orange
- ½ tsp vanilla powder, or vanilla essence
Plop 3 hot cakes into your pan and let sit for about 2-3 minutes or until golden. Flip over and leave for another couple of minutes. Top with a dollop of Greek five:am yoghurt (or yogurt of your choice). This is also topped with dehydrated orange chips – dehydrated for 15 hours or until crunchy.
The ‘any meal of the day’ Green Smoothie
This beautifully thick, Green Smoothie has become my ‘go to’ if I’m flagging, running late, short on my green intake, can’t be bothered to chop or all of the former. It makes for a super healthy breakfast or lunch (and even the occasional dinner). If you can, leave it for 15-20 minutes prior to eating to allow the chia seeds to soften.
(Serves 1 Prep time: 5 minutes)
- I cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice), more if you like a runnier consistency
- 2 big handfuls of organic English or baby spinach
- ¼ avocado
- A few springs of parsley
- 1 scoop of pure whey protein or a raw egg
- 1 heaping tbsp of full fat natural Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt)
- 1 dessertspoon chia seeds
- 1 heaping tsp maca powder
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger and turmeric (2 cm piece)
- 2 tsp of maple syrup, raw honey or other sweetener to taste
Throw all ingredients in the blender and blend until really smooth and creamy. Pour (or scoop!) into a glass or cup and sprinkle with whatever your heart desires. As you have no doubt already gathered you’ll need to make a trip to your cutlery drawer for a ‘need a spoon consistency’ spoon.
I can’t wait to get my hands dirty while preparing these babies!!
A 30-day Eating Guide to Your Best Body Ever!
Discover the best-kept secret in the food marketing industry and uncover the strategies that will effortlessly shed pounds off your body. The Body Fuel System comes with a 30-day customized weekly eating plan, a weekly shopping guide, a weekly food-prep guide, healthy fitness recipes, Betty Rocker’s top 5 ab-shredding moves, additional tips & tricks to keep you lean and much more. Click HERE for more details.
Latest posts by Isabella Bazzara (see all)
- Soul Candy Sunday: 6 Awakening Rituals that Transformed my Life & Shift me to Higher Vibration! - August 16, 2015
- Perfecting Pre-Workout Nutrition! - August 15, 2015
- 3 NO-BS Secrets to Lasting Weight Loss! - August 3, 2015